Friday, July 9, 2010

An introduction with the senior sculptor ‘Padmanabachari’


Guruji introducing Padmanabachari to us at Bellur

“It has become my Life’s mission, to create Lord Patanjali’s idols out of the toughest stones” claims the senior sculptor Padmanabachari,

Ms Gayathri V, from Bangalore, was successful in opening up a live dialogue with him at Bellur.
________________________________________________________________________________

APRRECIATION FROM GURUJI

Have you ever seen the statue of Sage Patanjali, for that matter, any where in the world?

If you haven’t, I would say, you should see it. Check out any nearest Iyengar Yoga Institute that may have one. Visit and ensure you see it carefully.

There is a lot you would have missed out, if incase you have not observed the Sage Patanjali’s statue till now. So, observe it closely.

We all pray Sage Patanjali either at the beginning or at the end of the Yoga class...but most of us haven’t got an opportunity to really have Sage Patanjali’s idol in front of us, every time we pray….isn’t it?

Even before we wish to have one such idol with us, lets all meet the most senior sculptor who has created almost all the Sage Patanjali idols throughout the world, throughout his life.

“Guruji, first came in search of me several years back, as I happen to stay in a nearby village Shivarapatn in Kolar district. He wanted a stone idol of Sage Patanjali made. I was not that comfortable then, as I couldn’t visualize how exactly the Sage looked? For that matter, I even didn’t know Guruji then. But out of spontaneity I had agreed to him to make one….and that was the start of my association with Sage Patanjali and of course with Guruji” says the sculptor as he closed his eyes and started remembering.

Yes, I could feel that he was emotional, all that made him look back at his life, today. That made me understand how he was able to contribute with his divine gift of art to the world of Iyengar Yoga.

Guruji holding the miniature Patanjali silver idol by Padmanabachari

SERVICE THROUGH SCULPTURE: HIS MISSION OF LIFE

In a response to my earlier question, he expressed… “Sculpture is our family tradition, and it has been our main focus from my ancestors to this generation.

I have just studied, 6th standard, due to my poor family background. We were very rich in tradition of sculpture but had no enough support… Every stroke of our hammer is an act of responsibility…otherwise as you know, the whole effort would go vain.

We are specifically taught how to identify and then be friendlier with the material we choose to work, especially with the material like stone, where a single mistake would cause a complete rework. It could be ranging from stone, metal, wood or any other. Let’s say, I choose STONE as a medium… there is a unique way to test the right stone especially for the idols, even before we hammer our first chisel on it. This kind of knowledge to correctly choose the medium and material is very vital and comes only from experience.”

By this time, I could see a spark in his tiny eyes as they were shredding the happy tears, of his memories.

Padmanabachari, claims that he has sculpted more than 500 idols of sage Patanjali, which are installed all over the world. He never mentioned whether he carves any of his symbol on the idol, as a mark of identification. Other than him, so far, there is no one who has done this special divine service towards the world of Iyengar yoga.

Yes, I would say, the very next time you would see a Patanjali idol, don’t forget that it was done by Padmanabachari.

Today, at his age of 73 years, this strong man, doesn’t fail to first offer his prayers to the stone he would carve next. According to him, certain disciplines in life are must to excel as a human being, whether you stay in city or a village. All this makes him work not less than 10 hours per day.

As I turned towards practical side of his life, I was surprise to understand how clear he was about it. As a point of curiosity, I casually asked him,’ Do you remember, how much time did it took you to carve the first Patanjali Idol, and do you know where it is at present?” Even before I could complete my questions, he was nodding his hear, with his white hair.

My every expressive question, makes him think twice.

He started, “Exactly in the year of 1985, (almost 20 years back), with the patient stroke of every chisel, continuously for the duration of 60 days, I had completed the first Sage Patanjali idol, which is installed at present in the RIMYI, Pune.”

HIS MESSAGE

“For the true artist, there is no limitation of any thing, as the world is full of natural gifts. Every sculpture should study and practice the Sanskrit language (Indian language), to understand the relative literature written about the specific God, they would choose to sculpt.”

With Padmanabachari, I am astonished to experience the gestalt of knowledge, art and service that he offers from a small village carving various Indian GODs in different base material, based on the requirement.

At the end, I would like to bring your attention to the very fact that we all should thank Guruiji to bring out several unique qualities in Padmanabachari.

Lets all wish Padmanabachari a long and healthy life for him to serve through his sculpture.

________________________XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX___________________

No comments: